Sunday, May 14, 2006

NSA spying, AT & T & me

I learned like everyone else last week that AT & T, my phone company for local calls, as well as Verizon and BellSouth all turned over all their phone records to NSA, the National Security Agency. That action violates of the 4th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution which protects the citizens against illegal search and seizure. AT & T violated my Constitutional rights!

In January, the Electronic Frontiers Foundation sued AT & T for breaking the law while two New Jersey pubic interest lawyers have sued Verizon for $5 billion for violating its customers'
privacy. Also, the ACLU as well as Working Assets Long Distance (WALD) is suing NSA.
Lawsuits take time, but here's something you can do in quickly.

I have been a customer for Working Assets Long Distance (WALD) for my long distance for 15 years. WALD is a telecommunications company for social change that offers long distance service and cells phones. You can switch your long distance to WALD (www.workingassets.com), the only telecommunications company that has taken a principaled stand against NSA spying by participating in a lawsuit against it.

My only connection with WALD is being their customer for 15 years. They offer their services
over SPRINT. I've never had any problems at all with the WALD service. Every bill is on recylced paper and includes information on legislative actions that one can take if one wants. Also, they donated a percentrage of their profits to social change groups: they've donated $50 million since 1985. At the end of the year all the long distance customers get to vote on which social change groups to send the donation money to.

I've never had their cell phone service, so I can't comment on that. My only complaint against
WALD is that they used to offer their credit card through a small bank which is bought up by
MBNA, so now they offer their credit card through MBNA, which has excessive fees. So I'd
wish they end their connection with MBNA, but as I said, I'm not a credit card customer.

As for cell phone, I'm a pay-as-you-go customer since I refuse to have a monthly bill. WALD doesn't have a pay-as-you-go cell phone so I can't use them The most inexpensive pay-as-you-go plan in Los Angeles was T-Mobile, and I have no complaints. I was thinking about Verizon, but happily I didn't choose them; now I wouldn't choose Verizon
at all because of their turning over their phone records.

One problem: AT & T is the only local phone service offered in my area--they have a
monopoly of landline phones. I'm going to start to investigate Internate phones as an alternative.

No comments: